Unlike loans, grants are gifts of money which are usually awarded on the basis of a student's financial need. A student's financial aid package may include grant money whenever eligibility and funding levels permit.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is a Federal program of entitlement basic to all other student financial aid.

This grant is awarded only to undergraduate students pursuing their first bachelor's degree. The program is based on a need analysis formula, which considers family income and assets, size of family, number of children attending post secondary schools, and other factors. The formula is applied when application is made with FAFSA and notification amounts are transmitted to our office electronically with the student's FAFSA file.   Application for the grant is automatic when completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).


Lifetime Eligibility Notice 

The U.S. Department of Education established new regulations in 2012 which reduce the duration of a student's lifetime eligibility to receive Pell Grant from 18 full-time semesters (or its equivalent) to 12 full-time semesters (or its equivalent). This provision applies to all Federal Pell Grant eligible students effective 2012-13.


What does this mean to you? 

An eligible student can receive the Federal Pell Grant until the earliest of a bachelors degree or until the student has received the Federal Pell Grant for an equivalent of 12 full-time semesters. This limitation includes the percentage of Federal Pell Grant the student has received from all post-secondary institutions regardless of when the student began receiving aid. Since receipt of a full Federal Pell Grant annual award is equivalent to 100% (based on two (50%) full-time semesters per award year), 12 full-time semesters equates to 600%.


For additional information please visit the Department of Education web page for this and more information: HERE


Tracking Your Lifetime Eligibility Used on NSLDS 

You can find your Lifetime Eligibility Used for the Federal Pell Grant by going to the web site and creating a student account. The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education's (ED's) central database for student aid. NSLDS receives data from schools, guaranty agencies, the Direct Loan program, and other Department of ED programs. NSLDS Student Access provides a centralized, integrated view of Title IV loans and grants so that recipients of Title IV Aid can access and inquire about their Title IV loans and/or grant data.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is available only to undergraduate students who have remaining unmet need after the Federal Pell Grant has been awarded. Students seeking second bachelor degrees are not eligible for SEOG.

Priority for awarding will be given to students with a family contribution (EFC) of "0," as established by Federal regulations, and who have completed all necessary paperwork by the financial aid deadline of March 15 . Any funds remaining after that date will be awarded to Pell-eligible students with completed files on a "first come, first served" basis.

The maximum and minimum annual FSEOG awards are set each year by the Office of Financial Aid in accordance with Federal regulations.









Tuition Equalization Grant

The Tuition Equalization Grant (TEG) is a State of Texas grant program for residents attending a private university in the State of Texas.

The TEG is provided to both undergraduate and masters level students (with some restrictions) and is meant to help offset some of the difference in cost for students attending private universities in Texas.


To be awarded the Tuition Equalization Grant (TEG) a student must:

    • Meet all requirements to receive Federal aid as described previously;
    • Be a legal Texas resident. If a dependent student, parents must be legal Texas residents;
    • Be enrolled full-time in a semester to receive the grant for that semester (except for final semester when graduating);
    • Be pursuing a first bachelor's degree, first master's degree, or first doctoral degree;
    • Not be the recipient of an athletic scholarship;
    • Not be pursuing a degree program leading to a career in ministry; (Contact the Office of Financial Aid with questions about specific program limitations.)
    • Other limitations may apply. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information.


As an undergraduate student you must complete 24 hours in a year (Fall, Spring, Summer).


As a graduate student you must complete 18 hours in a year (Fall, Spring, Summer).


Additionally, a student must meet all the Satisfactory Academic Policy guidelines set forth in our "Tuition Equalization Grant (TEG) Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy"

Financial Aid Forms Questions about Fees & Payments Contact Financial Aid
Financial Aid Questions? Get Video Answers Ready to Apply? Thinking About DBU? Grants Scholarships Loans Tuition & Housing Costs

Information regarding specific yearly amounts for each Federal Aid program is available in the FINANCIAL AID STUDENT GUIDE, published annually by the US Department of Education.

Click HERE to view that publication online.