Financial Aid FAQ's

General Refund Policy

DBU uses student accounts to assess charges and apply payments against those charges. Financial aid will begin posting to your student account following the  add/drop period each semester (fall, spring, summer).If a student account shows a credit balance, it is the policy of the University to refund the credit to the student in a timely manner under most circumstances. Credit balances caused by financial aid are refunded only after a careful review of the student's account and eligibility for aid and will be issued only if a credit balance results from the posting of a student’s Financial Aid.  If a credit balance refund is due the student, the refund is made to the student within 14 days, as required by Federal regulations. A refund will be issued only if the student's balance is paid in full.  Student refunds are either sent electronically, through direct deposit to your bank account, or as a paper check in the mail. For paper checks, please be sure to verify your current address information with the Registrar's office.


Click HERE to go to the Cashier's page and set up your account to receive refunds electronically or HERE to look at your online account and Cashier FAQ's. 


A student may receive partial or full credit for the semester's tuition charge if he/she completes the official add/drop or withdrawal process through the Registrar's Office. (Please refer to the appropriate semester Schedule of Classes to determine the appropriate refund calculation.)

In cases of course cancellation by the University, credit equal to 100% of tuition and fees will be given. Late registration and/or absences from class have no bearing on refunds.

Students suspended for academic or disciplinary reasons will not be entitled to a refund of tuition, fees, or housing.

Refunds of credit balances on student accounts as a result of withdrawal will require a minimum of two weeks to be paid after the student has officially withdrawn through the Registrar's Office.

Refunds Affected By Change in Enrollment Status

Students receiving Federal aid, other than Federal Work-Study funds, who withdraw or change enrollment status (increase or decrease semester hours taken) will have Federal aid adjusted in accordance with formulas prescribed by the Federal Title IV Program, or DBU policy, whichever is applicable.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Credit balance refunds due students are processed after the add/drop period closes each semester (consult the semester schedule of classes for this date).

Eligibility for a refund depends on several factors and will be determined by the Office of Financial Aid. Changes in any of these factors, such as dropping courses or withdrawing from the University, could result in delays in receiving a refund or the reduction of the student's aid package, thereby removing a potential credit balance.

Withdrawal from the University

A student who withdraws from the University receives only the balance that remains, if any, after the appropriate refund calculation has been performed by the Office of Financial Aid and according to the Federally mandated Return of Federal Title IV Funds Policy listed below.

Refunds and Title IV Funds - return of Federal Title IV funds will be distributed according to statutory regulations

Financial aid recipients who withdraw before 60% of the semester is completed will also be required to return a portion of the Federal financial aid received. For further information, please consult the Office of Financial Aid.

Worksheets/formulas provided by the U.S. Department of Education will be used to determine the amounts and order of return. If a student's share of the return amount exists, the student will be notified and allowed 45 days from the date of determination to return the funds to the Business Office of the University for deposit into the Federal programs accounts. If the student does not return the amount owed within the 45-day period, the amount of overpayment will be reported to the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) via the National Student Loan Database (NSLDS) and the student will be referred to the DOE for resolution of the debt. Unearned aid will be refunded to the appropriate program(s), if necessary based on these regulations.


A. Funds to be Returned

Dallas Baptist University returns unearned funds received from Federal student assistance programs to the proper program accounts or lenders in accordance with Federal Title IV student assistance regulations, as amended, under 34 CFR, section 668.22(d) of the Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act of 1965.

The student receiving assistance from Federal Title IV programs is required to complete a minimum number of hours for which assistance was received. If the student completely withdraws from school during the semester or stops attending, but fails to officially withdraw, the student may be required to return the unearned part of the funds received to help pay educational expenses for the semester. Liability for return of Federal Title IV funds will be determined according to the following guidelines:

  • If the student remains enrolled and attends class beyond the 60% mark of the semester in which aid is received, all Federal aid is considered earned and not subject to this policy.

  • If the student completely withdraws from all classes before completing 60% of the semester, a pro-rated portion of the Federal aid received must be returned to the Federal aid programs equal to the percentage of the semester remaining.

  • If the student does not officially withdraw from classes, and stops attending all classes, a pro-rated portion of the Federal aid received, based on the documented last date of attendance, must be returned to the Federal aid programs. If the college is unable to document the last date of attendance, one-half of all Federal aid received during the semester must be returned to the Federal aid programs.
If the student owes money to the University or to one of the financial aid programs in the form of a repayment, the Office of Financial Aid or the Cashier's Office will notify the student.

B. Funds to be Disbursed

When a student officially or unofficially withdraws, the Office of Financial Aid will determine if the student is entitled to a post-withdrawal disbursement.  Post-withdrawal disbursement occurs when the student receives less Federal student aid than the amount earned (based on withdrawal date).  DBU will then offer, in writing, a disbursement of the earned aid that was not received.  All post–withdrawal disbursement offers will be made within 30 days of the date DBU determined that the student withdrew.

Please click on the "QUESTIONS ABOUT FEES & PAYMENTS" below for additional student account information.

Financial Aid Forms Questions about Fees & Payments Contact Financial Aid
Financial Aid Questions? Get Video Answers Ready to Apply? Thinking About DBU? Grants Scholarships Loans Tuition & Housing Costs

Information regarding specific yearly amounts for each Federal Aid program is available in the FINANCIAL AID STUDENT GUIDE, published annually by the US Department of Education.

Click HERE to view that publication online.