Eligibility Guidelines

Institutional Scholarships


Recipients of Institutional Scholarships should be:

Additional eligibility requirements may exist for each specific award; please check the scholarship section for more information.

Federal or State Financial Assistance

Students seeking Federal or State assistance must be eligible for Federal or State financial assistance by meeting the guidelines established by the U.S. Department of Education, the State of Texas and:

  • Successfully complete (in a timely manner) the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and any other documentation required in this application process;
  • Possess a valid Social Security Number (SSN). SSN matches are conducted by the government processor for each applicant for Federal aid programs;
  • Be registered for Selective Service, if male and required to do so. Federal or State financial aid cannot be disbursed until the Office of Financial Aid receives notification that the student has successfully registered with Selective Service;
  • Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or other eligible non-citizen. (Check with the Office of Financial Aid for details);
  • Be a degree-seeking, non-transient student enrolled in a degree-granting eligible program for the purpose of obtaining a degree, or certificate;
  • Enrolled in an eligible pattern of enrollment. In most cases this means enrolled in at least one long semester class. (Check with the Office of Financial Aid for details);
  • Fully admitted to the University. Students admitted to the University on a conditional basis (incomplete admission file) may be awarded financial aid, but no aid will be disbursed until the student completes his/her admission file;
  • In good standing and making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree and not on Financial Aid Suspension;
  • Possess a high school diploma or GED. Students who have successfully completed at least two years of college-level work that is acceptable for full credit toward a baccalaureate degree at DBU may also be eligible to apply for Federal aid. Students completing their high school education in a home school environment may also be eligible to apply for Federal financial aid under certain conditions. (See the Office of Financial Aid for more information.);
  • Not owe a refund on grants previously received under the Federal Pell Grant, the Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant, or the Leveraged Educational Assistance Grant.
  • Not be enrolled and receiving aid at another school concurrently;
  • Not be in default (or delinquent) on any educational loan programs with the State or Federal government, or have borrowed in excess of the loan limits on Federal loan programs;
  • Also...for Federal programs, be enrolled at least halftime during the Fall, Spring, or Summer terms. Halftime at DBU is defined as six (6) semester hours for Undergraduate and 4.5 hours per semester for Graduate students. Some students who are eligible for the Federal Pell Grant may be enrolled in fewer than six hours and still receive this grant.
  • For State programs, students must be enrolled full-time.

NOTE: Visiting (or transient) students at DBU who are pursuing degrees at other colleges are not eligible for financial aid.

Transfer and Professional Studies Students

To receive Federal or State Financial Assistance Transfer and Professional Studies students must meet all of the above requirements, as well as the following standards for admittance to DBU.


Transfer and professional studies students desiring to receive Federal or State financial aid must be admitted to the University under one of the following standards as set forth by the U.S. Department of Education:

1. An official high school transcript from an accredited high school which denotes that a diploma was received through graduation; or,

2. A General Education Development Certificate (GED); or,

3. An academic transcript showing successful completion of at least a two-year degree program that is acceptable for full credit toward the student's anticipated degree at DBU.


Financial Aid Forms Questions about Fees & Payments Contact Financial Aid
Financial Aid Questions? Get Video Answers Ready to Apply? Thinking About DBU? Grants Scholarships Loans Tuition & Housing Costs

Information regarding specific yearly amounts for each Federal Aid program is available in the FINANCIAL AID STUDENT GUIDE, published annually by the US Department of Education.

Click HERE to view that publication online.