Financial Aid FAQ's
- How is ELIGIBILITY for financial aid determined?
- What does the AWARDING PROCESS look like?
- How is FINANCIAL AID and the AMOUNT DETERMINED?
- What is DBU's FINANCIAL AID REFUND POLICY and WHEN will I know if I am getting one?
- How do I APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID and what is the PROCESS?
- Does the amount of HOURS I AM ENROLLED IN affect my aid?
- Are there PRIORITY DATES OR OTHER IMPORTANT DEADLINES I must know about?
- Can I LOSE MY FINANCIAL AID if I have WITHDRAWALS OR FAIL some classes?
- As a returning student what do I need to do to RENEW MY FINANCIAL AID for this year?
- What additional IMPORTANT FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION do I need to know?
Determination of Financial Aid
The Office of Financial Aid, working within the Federal government's policies set to measure need, determines the student's "financial need" using the following formula:
As illustrated above, the Federal formula compares a family's income and savings to the cost of attendance for the college the student plans to attend. If a student is determined to demonstrate financial need, the Office of Financial Aid then makes every effort to assist the student in meeting his/her determined financial need using all resources available. Both need-based and non-need based aid -in the form of Federal and State programs, as well as institutional aid, could be available to meet that need.
Financial Aid Counselors are available to discuss any question a student or his/her family may have regarding the student or family's financial situation.
Again this year, the Federal government is offering a number of tax incentives
(some of which were set to go away)
that could help lower the cost of higher education for some families.
Follow the link below to learn about some of these incentives that may be available to you as you prepare your 2016 axes.
Information regarding specific yearly amounts for each Federal Aid program is available in the FINANCIAL AID STUDENT GUIDE, published annually by the US Department of Education.
Click HERE to view that publication online.